Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Dog Days of Summer

I know everyone has been eagerly awaiting an update of how we are all doing- thanks for your patience with me!

Our days have been full! Charlie and Betsy Kate are adjusting great in so many ways! There are still plenty of challenges, but many of them are related to simply having two two-year-olds in the house and are not necessarily adoption related at all.

We are still keeping to ourselves at home for the most part although we've had a few visitors and ventured out to the park a couple of times and to Granny's house for an afternoon. We've realized that our little ones still have a long way to go in developing a more concrete idea of who Mama and Daddy are (while they may prefer us we've discovered that they still will reach to others for food, comfort, or to have any of their needs met).

Charlie and Betsy Kate are both sleeping through the night and napping great!!! They are in bed by 7:00 every night and if we don't need to be anywhere and I don't wake them up they will often sleep past 8:30 in the morning! Of course Henry is up by 7:00 so there is never any real sleeping in around here...

Both Charlie and Betsy Kate are super healthy too! We just had their one-month follow-up visit with their pediatrician yesterday and they are both doing awesome. We treated them for giardiasis when we came home and we'll retest next week, but I'm pretty sure they are both now clear! Betsy Kate's eczema has almost completely disappeared and Charlie's chest congestion is all clear as well! And the best news is...

BETSY KATE HAS GAINED TWO POUNDS!!! Our tiny girl now weighs 19.6 pounds!!! She has also grown an inch in height as well making her 30 inches tall! (She has been on the "add butter and cream to everything" diet). We are loving those cherub cheeks!!!

I took these photos a couple of weeks ago- we've been loving our little wading pool in the incredible heat wave we've been having here.

The pic of Betsy Kate sitting in James's lap while screaming... that is because she wanted back in the water- little one knows how to get her point across!

I highly recommend clicking the "Summer Slideshow"  link and watching it directly on youtube- the photos will be much larger that way :-)
These days are full... full of messes on the floor, tears and tantrums, books and balls, hugs and kisses, doctor's appointments and lab work, tests of patience and endurance, and love, love, love like it has never been known before. I wouldn't trade these days for anything.

11 comments:

  1. Erica, your family looks so precious! GOD bless each and every one of you.

    Linda Floyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see another update of your precious family again.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the slideshow. So great to hear such a sweet update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we're so happy for you and your beautiful family.
    may the Lord bless and keep you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica,
    I havent looked at your blog because I have been so busy. But, I must say I was so delighted by your slide show. Your children are so beautiful!! I love Betsy Kates bathing suit!! I love how they are all on the hammock together!!! I am so happy to hear that all things considered, you guys are having a fairly easy transistion. ~Trina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your family on RR, and saw that you were bringing (or ad just brought) your child home. I am so happy to see you that you have been able to bring your child home!!!

    I am just starting a RR journey myself.

    Jaclyn
    http://adoptutah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited for your family! I would love an update because we are adopting boy/girl twins from Eastern Europe and I think your situation is somewhat similar (although yours are a bit younger) Keep us posted whenever you can get you head above water! ;-)
    Cynthia
    http://www.adreamadoption.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think finding your blog is a divine connection for us. I'll connect the dots for you privately later, but first I'll say that our family is moving to your hometown area in a few weeks, and second, I learned tonight that your children were adopted from the same orphanage that we are intending to adopt from in the coming months. I would love to connect with you further if you're okay with that. Thanks & God bless,
    Rick & Michelle
    www.nolongeranorphan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there lady,
    Havent seen anything from you in awhile. Pray you are well. Thinking of you.
    Trina

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to say "Hi" from After the Rainbow. If you need anything or just want to talk to other families who have "been there", please don't hesitate to contact me or to post on the After the Rainbow Yahoo Group (shoot me an email if you're not a member yet).

    Blessings,
    Rachel Whitmire
    Post-Adoption Care Coordinator
    Reece's Rainbow Down Syndrome Adoption Ministry
    www.reecesrainbow.org
    Rachel@reecesrainbow.org

    ReplyDelete